Friday, April 2, 2010

Selfless Acts- A Note to a Birth Mom

First, if you read this blog for very long, you'll realize that I tend to reference other authors, books, poems, news stories, and other print sources. I am constantly seeking connections, mostly for my job as a teacher, but also because I seek connections. Sooooo, John McCain wrote an article about how our society dumbs down courage. He defines courage as putting one's life at risk for the greater good, even sacrificing one's life. It is not losing weight or leaving a loveless marriage or going back to school when you are much older, according to him. These things are important, but not truly courageous. Sometimes I feel hat we do the same with selfless acts. Giving up your seat for another or giving money to charity are both selfless, but the giver only suffers discomfort. A truly selfless act involves the giver sacrificing something dear to him or her for the greater good of another. Somehow this sacrifice alters you. The most obvious example of a truly selfless act is Jesus dying for my sins. He sacrificed Himself so that I can live eternally even though I am just a sinner. Recent events in my life have shown me another truly selfless act that is often judged by others as selfish. When the birth mother of my daughter gave her to us, it wasn't because she didn't want her; she wanted this child to have many blessings in her life that she ( the birth mom) just doesn't have the ability to provide at this time. I saw the pain as she sacrificed this relationship for the baby's good. Although I doubt that the birth mother sees it this way, I see someone who is a role model, someone who cared so deeply for the well-being ox another that she suffers. When I hear people comment on birth moms, it is often negative coupled with a disbelief that a person could so easily give up her child. It was anything but easy, and it is an act defined by love. To the birth mother who graced my life with this child, I say a bumbles word of thanks that does not begin to expess the emotions of this act. I pray for your heart to heal. May God continue to lead you to inspire others.

No comments:

Post a Comment